Skip to main content

Favorite Parenting Books- Part One

Books have changed my life. Many have changed the way I parent, sometimes just a little. Sometimes radically. Sometimes a little change will bring about radical results. All from a book. Below are some of the parenting books that have transformed me.

The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them I remember fighting EVERY morning with my daughter over brushing her hair. At the end of our morning ritual, she was in tears and I was in a rage. I was venting to another mom about this and other struggles and she said, "you should read The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron." I did. It was a window into the soul of my daughter. I am not "highly sensitive." Highly bossy, overbearing, critical and ornery- yes. Highly sensitive- no. I gained a new understanding of my daughter, her strengths and how she interacts with the world. Based on advice in the book (it said these kids are often perfectionists and like to meet expectations, but they need to know what to expect) I tried a new approach. The next morning I said to my daughter, "I'm going to brush your hair. I am going to be as gentle as I can. It still might hurt when I am combing out tangles, but I will do my best to be gentle. I need you to hold still and let me." Two minutes later I was dumbfounded. Angelic choirs started singing, "hallelujah" in my bathroom. She was sooo cooperative. Our morning ritual of crying child and mom turned lunatic was over. Thanks to this book, I have had a new lens through which I have viewed my daughter ever since. I have been a better mom to her because of it. I love you Elaine Aron.

So, I have a "sensitive" child. I have another child that is, well. . . not. She doesn't dissolve into tears. She and I, we like the emotion anger. I call anger my "go-to" emotion. Something might make you feel sad, discouraged, disappointed- not me (or my second daughter). We get angry. There was a time when we were both angry with each other a lot. Too much. It was deteriorating the whole relationship. I was feeling a little scared- and angry. I was desperate to turn things around. I did what I always do. I talked (and talked and talked). Another wise friend recommended The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. I probably needed a book called The Explosive Mommy but that book doesn't exist. Now, I confess, I never finished this book. I got as far as his three step plan for handling conflict. That was all I needed. I started applying Ross Greene's simple technique for handling conflict and the turn around in my daughter (and me) was dramatic. The first step (as I remember it, it has been years) is to empathize. Before reading this book, I would have thought "empathize?! With a terrible kid who just did a mean spirited thing?!" After this book, I was wiser. Empathizing gave me a chance to problem solve and instruct my daughter in a way that I simply had been incapable of before. Who knew that saying, "you must have been feeling really upset to have hit your sister" was a better approach then screaming, "I can't believe you hit your sister!! You cannot hit! Go to room now before I hit you"? We still get mad my daughter and I,  but our anger has reasonable proportions and the warmth that characterizes our relationship today can sustain a little head butting.That warmth was created in large part to the guidance this book provided me. Thank you Ross Greene.


This is one of my favorite parenting books!! It hasn't changed my life as dramatically as other parenting books (though it easily could have if I had read it when my kids were younger). I love this book because it is FUN to read. It is full of wisdom and ideas, but everything is presented in such a palatable, non preachy way. You find yourself wondering at your own culture in comparison to French culture and musing along with the author. I love anything that can help me step outside my own culture for a minute and gain some perspective. You will laugh. It will resonate. This is the book I like to give to new mommies.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Literacy How-To

Following my last post on media literacy, which focused on girls, I received this question from Lindsey, “ Can you share some dialogue examples for pointing out the dehumanizing tricks? I want to help my boys recognize this, but I haven't been able to come up with a succinct way of talking about it.” Photo Source  I hate to include examples of advertising that I find so abhorrent, but we must understand what we are up against. Since I didn’t acknowledge it in my last post, let me say here that the harm wrought on girls by media and advertising in no way exceeds the damage to boys. Levin and Kilbourne  explain, “Boys learn to look at girls as sex objects, they really learn a lot about how to treat girls. At the same time, boys are seeing images of being violent, tough and macho which go against being able to have caring connective relationships when they grow up.” How sad. Our boys are hit constantly with a double whammy (be tough and girls are objects to be manipulated

Go To Hell, It's Summer!

 Yesterday was the last day of school for my three oldest kids. I feel like I just crossed the finish line of a marathon, hands on my knees gasping for air.  The past few weeks I’ve passed other parents at bus stops, in school hallways, on field trips and returned their dazed looks with “how are you?” The predominant refrain is, “you know, June is crazy.” Yes, I know. Here is a sampling of what has been added to my already full schedule this month. Three separate choir concerts, a dance recital, 6 field trips, an end of the year medieval celebration, my daughter's formal “spring fling dance” and middle school graduation. Somewhere in there is the pressure to get (or even worse- make) a grand thank you gift for all my kid’s teachers and the guilt of failing, again, to do this simple task that everyone else seems capable of. Top that off with under-slept kids frantic about finals, excited about yearbooks and over sugared from end of the year celebrations. As I drop my daughte

Favorite Parenting Books- Part Two

Oh, sighhhh! I voice of sanity amidst the madness. What a relief it was to read this book! By nature, I am not an overly protective parent. I leaned free-range before I picked up this book. Still, this book freed me from so much fear and anxiety, it was completely empowering. Skenazy sums it up this way, "Free-Range Kids is a commonsense approach to parenting in these overprotective times."   We are raising our kids in an era of manufactured fear. It is so hard not to by into all the hype when it comes to our kids.  Skenazy does a brilliant job of evaluating our overblown fears and works to give us a realistic perspective.When my mom was a kid, she didn't wear a seat belt in the car and she roamed outside with her siblings with little supervision. Skenazy would say there is no question- our kids should wear seat belts, it keeps them safer. They should also be allowed outside to play, even without you standing guard the whole time. Crime rates happen to be lower then whe