Skip to main content

Parenting’s Unexpected Gift




As we walk into the old, sprawling new and used bookstore to join their monthly book club for the first time, I can feel the eyes of the group on us, their curiosity plain, though they are generous of spirit and welcoming. It will be four more months before one of them works up the nerve to ask how we know each other, trying to decipher our relationship. We make an odd pair, I suppose.

Jan is the older of us two. Same age as my own mom, in fact. She exudes warmth and acceptance, which draws people to her. Then they become smitten by her wit, intelligence and self-deprecating grace. She is also, to use her word, “butch.” Everything she wears was purchased in the men’s department. She’s got a wallet in the back pocket of her Carhartt pants. Her ears, however, dangle silver Native American art. She once lived on a reservation in Montana where she worked with Native Americans and their culture has held sway in her heart ever since.

I, on the other hand, am younger, dressed in unfussy, but feminine clothes. I’m happy if I’ve managed to put on make up, though I never wear earrings. I falsely advertise as sweet and docile. Jan and I still laugh, after all these years, about her mistaken first impression of me. When I am vigorously and emphatically stating my opinion, which I am constantly wont to do, she will laugh and say, “ was I ever wrong about you.” When we first met she recalls feeling sorry for me, I looked so downtrodden and meek to her (I was violently ill with a pregnancy at the time). Now she never pities me, she knows better, but she frequently pities my husband. I am fiery, opinionated, but possess a fairly good intuition.

So, you see, as we walk in to the bookstore with our heads bent toward each other, deep in conversation, we create an “odd pair” first impression. When we are finally queried about our relationship, how we know each other, Jan answers simply, “we have kids the same age.” They admit they had several theories worked out, thinking the most likely was that Jan was my mother in law. Nope. She is one of my dearest friends. And that came to be because we are both parents. Jan and her partner Nancy are raising two teenage boys and I three girls and a boy.


This is the magic of parenting. It connects us in a common joy and struggle. And in some cases it breaks down barriers. I never would have come to know Jan without our shared journey of parenthood. Oh, how much I would have missed. Initially, she counted on me for information such as which days the kids had no school and when they needed to register for kindergarten (coming to parenting a little later than usual, these things were mysteries to Jan and Nancy). These days we count on each other for everything, from the practical (can you pick Xander up from school for me?) to the fun (my house is empty, want to come watch a movie?) to the vital (ranting about our partners when it is warranted and pounding out solutions to parenting dilemmas). I’ll be grateful always for this unexpected gift of parenting- a friendship that will fill my life and days long after the kids have grown and left.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go To Hell, It's Summer!

 Yesterday was the last day of school for my three oldest kids. I feel like I just crossed the finish line of a marathon, hands on my knees gasping for air.  The past few weeks I’ve passed other parents at bus stops, in school hallways, on field trips and returned their dazed looks with “how are you?” The predominant refrain is, “you know, June is crazy.” Yes, I know. Here is a sampling of what has been added to my already full schedule this month. Three separate choir concerts, a dance recital, 6 field trips, an end of the year medieval celebration, my daughter's formal “spring fling dance” and middle school graduation. Somewhere in there is the pressure to get (or even worse- make) a grand thank you gift for all my kid’s teachers and the guilt of failing, again, to do this simple task that everyone else seems capable of. Top that off with under-slept kids frantic about finals, excited about yearbooks and over sugared from end of the year celebrations. As I drop my daughte

Media Literacy How-To

Following my last post on media literacy, which focused on girls, I received this question from Lindsey, “ Can you share some dialogue examples for pointing out the dehumanizing tricks? I want to help my boys recognize this, but I haven't been able to come up with a succinct way of talking about it.” Photo Source  I hate to include examples of advertising that I find so abhorrent, but we must understand what we are up against. Since I didn’t acknowledge it in my last post, let me say here that the harm wrought on girls by media and advertising in no way exceeds the damage to boys. Levin and Kilbourne  explain, “Boys learn to look at girls as sex objects, they really learn a lot about how to treat girls. At the same time, boys are seeing images of being violent, tough and macho which go against being able to have caring connective relationships when they grow up.” How sad. Our boys are hit constantly with a double whammy (be tough and girls are objects to be manipulated

Favorite Parenting Books- Part Two

Oh, sighhhh! I voice of sanity amidst the madness. What a relief it was to read this book! By nature, I am not an overly protective parent. I leaned free-range before I picked up this book. Still, this book freed me from so much fear and anxiety, it was completely empowering. Skenazy sums it up this way, "Free-Range Kids is a commonsense approach to parenting in these overprotective times."   We are raising our kids in an era of manufactured fear. It is so hard not to by into all the hype when it comes to our kids.  Skenazy does a brilliant job of evaluating our overblown fears and works to give us a realistic perspective.When my mom was a kid, she didn't wear a seat belt in the car and she roamed outside with her siblings with little supervision. Skenazy would say there is no question- our kids should wear seat belts, it keeps them safer. They should also be allowed outside to play, even without you standing guard the whole time. Crime rates happen to be lower then whe