Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cookies (for Christmas)

 Do you know what your kids are wearing for Halloween? Me neither. I am, however, thinking of Christmas goodies. I like baking more then scheming up Halloween costumes that won't take too much time or cost too much money. I have my priorities- primarily food. Today I started my holiday baking. I like to start early and get some cookies in the freezer. It makes last minute cookie plate assembly more manageable. I take my Christmas cookies very seriously. I want everything to be divine. I want that divineness sitting in my freezer where I have easy access to it while the kids are at school. Today's yummy: Ginger Cookies!



Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter (or 1 cube) at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 c dark molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cloves and salt). In a large bowl or in the bowl of your mixer combine the butter and sugar. Add the egg and mix until combined, then add the molasses and vanilla and mix. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients slowly until all combined. Scoop out 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place balls on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or not, if you don't have any) and bake for 7 minutes. You'll be tempted to cook a bit longer, but don't. They should be soft and chewy, they lose their magic if they are over done! Makes about 2 dozen.

Mix

Roll in sugar

Waste Not Want Not
Bake for 7 minutes

Fragrant Ginger-spice perfection

No comments:

Post a Comment